Managing a third party's account.

We understand that, sometimes, things change and this makes it difficult or even impossible for account holders to communicate with us.

In these circumstances, account holders can give authority for someone else to act on their behalf.

Here we've outlined the options to help you determine what might be most suitable option, with links to support and advice.

Verbal authority

If the account holder is able to speak with us on the phone, they can give immediate verbal authority for someone to discuss their account.

In the interests of security, this authority lasts only for that working day. Please call us to confirm the details.

• Personal customers: 0161 333 7404. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm.

• Commercial customers: 0161 333 7416. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5:30pm.

Written authority

Account holders can give third parties ongoing authority to manage their account, and this authority needs to be put in writing. This can take two forms.

Option 1: Letter of Authority

Download, print and complete: the Letter of Authority form, and send it our way. This document provides authority to manage only the Together account in question.

By email, to: Personal customers:

Commercial customers:

By post, to: Together Lake View, Lakeside, Cheadle, SK8 3GW.

Option 2: Power of Attorney

This legal document allows someone to appoint one or more people to help them make decisions about their health and finance, or to make decisions on their behalf if they cannot decide for themselves.

In England and Wales, the Office of the Public Guardian registers each 'lasting power of attorney' (LPA). You can create your LPA online using GOV.UK's handy wizard, then simply print, sign, and post your LPA to the authorities.

In Scotland, most people use a solicitor to write their Power of Attorney (PoA) document, to ensure nothing is missed. A solicitor or medical doctor must interview the subject of the PoA, and sign the document to confirm they understand the decision they're making. Once completed, it must be sent to the Office of the Public Guardian in Scotland. provides further guidance and links.

In addition, AgeUK has a comprehensive advice and support page regarding powers of attorney.